Monday, July 21, 2008
Thursday, July 10, 2008
"No one asked me if I wanted to be part of this attack on people's pets," said a hedgehog named Jimmy, whose incredible cuteness is seen on Cute Overload.
"Our pictures are the core attraction on a blog that is promoting -- and profiting from -- the poisoning of cats and dogs," said a baby orangutan who was outraged when he discovered a snapshot of himself on the blog. "It makes my stomach turn."
While all animals are appalled at the evildoings of Cute Overload, it's clear that dogs and cats whose images appear on the site are the hardest hit. Lena, a tabby whose own kittens were poisoned to death by Hartz flea and tick drops, has repeatedly requested that her image be removed from the site -- but she receives no response to her emails.
Georgie, a bulldog whose best friend, a Pekingese named Charlie, suffered major organ failure after having Hartz applied to his skin as directed and could not be saved, desperately wants his picture off of Cute Overload.
Friday, July 4, 2008
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Friday, June 27, 2008
"We conducted an analysis," said chief scientist Dr. Spot Barker, "taking into account the number of visits Cute Overload receives daily and the percentage of those visitors who are pet owners."
When results came in on Monday of this week, Dr. Barker demanded that the analysis be redone. "I looked at the numbers" he recalled, "and I thought, Good god, this just can't be."
But it was. The analysis was performed again and again, and the results kept coming back the same -- that at least 140 cats and dogs have either been killed or badly injured as a direct result of a Hartz product that was purchased as a direct result of seeing a Hartz ad on Cute Overload.
Next on the to-do list at Labradoodle Laboratories? "We're attempting to harvest a conscience using truth, kindness, decency, and a few test tubes," said Dr. Barker. "When the conscience is complete, we're going to overnight it to Meg Frost."
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Friday, May 9, 2008
What's that, girl? Yes, Meg Frost is indirectly endangering animals' lives for a fast buck!
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Saturday, May 3, 2008
The macaque, a follower of the teachings of Ghandi and practitioner of his philosophy of Satyagraha, will remain perched upon a leafless tree trunk until the Hartz ads are removed from Cute Overload.
Elwood, whose diet normally consists of nuts and berries, has forsworn food, water, and rest for the duration of the protest.
"Truth will be my nourishment," he told onlookers before withdrawing into silence.
Friday, May 2, 2008
Using Hartz on your pet is not akin to eating strawberries or breathing. Using Hartz is not normal, run-of-the-mill risk.
The toxic ingredient used in Hartz flea and tick products is called phenothrin. According to an article in USA Today, "Adverse reports began to arrive at EPA headquarters in 2001, shortly after Hartz changed the formulation of the products to include 87% phenothrin, a potent pesticide. Only a few other tick and flea products use phenothrin, and all at concentrations of less than 10%, says Jim Jones, director of EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs."
The same article quotes John Mullane, a spokesman for Hartz, as saying that the 7,000 reports were "a very small number compared to the number of applications."
If you visit Hartz's deathsite and click on any of their flea and tick products, you won't be surprised to find that they do not disclose the ingredients. Nor are the ingredients listed on the front of the packaging, so enlarging the image won't help. You'll have to go elsewhere to find out what's in Hartz's poisonous brew, like here, for example (click on the "Ingredients" tab).
In spite of EPA intervention, phenothrin still comprises 85.7% of the ingredients in Hartz's flea and tick drops for dogs.
The Hartz campaign features adorable pets suggesting that their flea and tick problems don't warrant a trip to the vet. Now why on earth would Hartz want you to leave your vet out of it? Because they know that if you ask your vet how to treat your pet's flea and tick problem, your vet is not going to recommend Hartz. In fact, they will tell you to avoid it at all costs.
A Florida news team's investigation of 30 local veterinarians found that "more than 60 percent reported having seen cases where cats have either died or become very sick after being treated with Hartz Advanced Flea and Tick Drops for Cats." (Apparently, some vets use the term 'Hartz Kitty' when treating seizing cats.)By the way, Hartz has other methods of poisoning your animals. It also has ways of using real fur, from real animals overseas, in some of its pet toys. (No wonder Tabby loves that mouse toy so much. It's made of something dead!)
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
A few days ago, however, I noticed that she had started running advertisements for Hartz flea and tick products, which are well documented to have injured and killed countless dogs and cats.
Is there anything cute about that? Nyerhe. I'm afraid not.
Believing that Meg simply must not have been aware of the dangers of Hartz products, I wrote to her and let her know. I urged her to pull the ads. So far, I have not heard back. Others who have written to her expressing their opposition to the Hartz ads tell me that they have not heard back either.
Wanting to warn as many Cute Overload visitors as possible of the danger of using deadly Hartz flea and tick products on their pets, I posted informative comments on several of the entries. Today, those comments not-so-mysteriously disappeared. And on top of that, I've apparently been banned from posting.
No one should profit from a product that is known to be harmful to the animals we love and adore. Sadly, we expect this from evil corporations like Hartz -- but Cute Overload? Are you kidding me?
Please email Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and urge her to do the right thing. Please post comments on the entries. Please tell your friends.
Read a few of Hartz victims' stories here.